I often asked myself, why him? Why us? What did we do? Why can't it attack murderers, and rapist? Truth is...I don't have time to ask questions...only time to act. For cancer is not for the weak, it's for the strong...and the strong will SURVIVE!!!

Thursday, November 29, 2012

A Letter To Senator Burr By Austin Leonard (12)


Dear Senator Richard Burr,

My name is Austin Leonard and my dad was diagnosed with stomach cancer six months ago.  He is 39 years old.  I have two younger brothers 2 and 4; and two older brothers 15 and 19 years old.  When my family and I found out about my dad we were all scared.  I was scared knowing that my dad is really sick and had to have his whole stomach taken out.  He was going to have chemotherapy and other stuff.  I was scared that I too could possibly lose my stomach at 21 years old.  Either way I know my brothers and I, and our children, will have to get our stomachs checked every year for the rest of our lives. 
When my mom Christy and my dad Tony went to Duke Hospital my brothers and I had lots of questions like, will he lose all his hair, and did they catch it in time?  Would I get cancer too?  Could he still ride roller coasters?  How long will he be sick?  Lots of questions and very little answers.

My family and I are big supporters of cancer awareness.  My football team and I were in the newspaper last year for wearing pink in support of breast cancer.   When my dad was diagnosed, I noticed how little if any stomach cancer was supported.  With us having to get our stomachs checked every year, what if I don’t have the money to pay for it?  Is there any support for me?  How come the number two cancer killer in the world has little to no support or funding? 
Thankfully Congress passed two years ago, November is Stomach Cancer Awareness month.  Will you wear a blue ribbon in support of my dad and my family?  Will you help get the word out?  Will you help raise money for research and medicine to help people like my dad?  Please Mr. Senator, support my daddy’s fight and those like him?  Please help get the word out about stomach cancer awareness.
 

Sincerely,

 Austin C. Leonard
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment