I often asked myself, why him? Why us? What did we do? Why can't it attack murderers, and rapist? Truth is...I don't have time to ask questions...only time to act. For cancer is not for the weak, it's for the strong...and the strong will SURVIVE!!!

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Esophageal Perforation

Monday March 20...Tony had a dilation done in his esophagus and a colonoscopy.  Normally this is routine and we have a quick conversation with our GI doc and then its back home.  I got to meet a great couple who are new to the journey.  They were at Duke when we were.  This trip however...was different.

While Tony was waking up, our GI doc explained that there was an area of concern in Tony's large intestine?  How concerned?  He couldn't get the scope through his colon.  I was a little nervous, and then I heard 3 words that I had heard before.  Red, inflamed, and irritated.  Those three words I heard Jan 26, 2012 during Tony's endoscopy describing his stomach.  

The lump in my throat began to form, while my eyes were welling up with tears. "Biopsies were taken and sent stat." I heard, but I wanted answers NOW!!!  I took a deep breath and said thank you..knowing the next couple of days would be long.

When we got home, Tony was in pain like I had never seen him in pain before.  I assumed it was from the biopsies so I gave him his medicines and put him to bed.  After football practice I went home and Tony was asleep.  I fed the kids and they showered and too went to bed.  

Around 1030 Tony was awake.  This time he was calling for me in pain.  I ran to him.  He was white, sweaty, pale, and dry heaving.  It was horrible.  He started having difficulty breathing, so I called 911. 

After some tests at the ER, we learned that Tony had free air in his abdominal cavity.  This is very life threatening and usually requires emergency surgery.  The ER doctor contacted Duke immediatly.  Duke accepted a transfer from the local hospital to Duke.  From this point on the waiting game began.

THIRTY SIX HOURS LATER...Tony finally arrived at Duke.  Do I go into how I called Duke transport and BEGGED them to come get Tony because Cape Fear Valley was taking FOREVER!!!  Do I get into how CFV was only pumping Tony full of pain meds and antibiotics while waiting on Duke and he was not getting better?  If I heard, "I can't belive he's still stable" one more time, I was going to scream.

After a week in the hosptial at Duke, we were happy to learn that the leak in Tony's esophagus healed on its own.  This was an answered prayer because opening Tony back up was just way too risky of a surgery.  

Each day we were at Duke however, i asked for answers to pathology from his colonoscopy.  Unfortunatly every day was a no.  Still pending.  I'm sorry nothing yet.

Sunday March 26 Tony was finally discharged...and pathology?  No answers...but we got them the very next day...

No comments:

Post a Comment